Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Recipe- Pumpkin Trifle


My baking style is what one might call Semi-Homemade. I make things at home, but I cut corners wherever I can. This Thanksgiving the vote was for no pumpkin pie. But how can you have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie!? My thoughts exactly. And so I whipped up this delicious Pumpkin Trifle. (We received a trifle bowl as a wedding present. I kept it around for that 'perfect' dessert until I-don't-know-when. All I know is that when I went to make this trifle the bowl could not be found. Oh well, a glass bowl works just fine :)

Ingredients:
2 dozen Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies (I don't like the homemade spice cake mix ones for this recipe and opt instead for Walmart bakery. You can use pumpkin bread [2 small loaves] if you like)
1 cup caramel sauce (I almost made this from scratch and then said "Nah, better not")
1 cup Toffee pieces (I buy Heath bits you can get by the chocolate chips in the grocery store)
1 1/2 tubs (8oz) Whipped Topping (You over achievers can whip this yourself if you want)

Dice the cookies and spread a layer on the bottom of your trifle bowl (or glass bowl, like me).
Sprinkle a quarter to third of the toffee bits on the cookie pieces. Drizzle a quarter to a third of the caramel sauce on top. Spread a layer of whipped topping. Repeat 3 to 4 times ending with a layer of whipped topping. Refrigerate for about 1 hour for serving. (Honestly I didn't think it would, but it tasted better the next day)

Just so you know, I don't make this all the time. There's some serious sugar content going on here. But it is a tasty treat for a special occasion...you know, like Tuesday.  :o)

HAPPY SEWING!!!

6 comments:

Alexis said...

This looks SO good! I got a trifle bowl for my wedding as well. It was dropped and broken a couple weeks later. I never even used it. I think now I have a reason to get another one. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne said...

Now I am seriously worried about what happend to your diet...... But I have to see, it looks delicious!

Gill said...

I love trifle but I've never used pumpkin - here in the UK we only see pumpkins at halloween for carving!!

Judy said...

Love the Heath bits! I will try this. Thank you.

Bit by a Quilting Bug said...

Thank you for the recipe and all the shortcuts and location in the supermarket. I am one for semi-home made.

SpartanBabe said...

I think my blood sugar spiked just reading this...yum!